In an effort to assist residents in their quest for US citizenship, CCHEC offers classes in citizenship. These classes teach the necessary information to be able to fill out an application for citizenship and prepare you to answer the oral and written tests administered by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
In order to apply for naturalization, a person must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age,
2. Be a lawful permanent U.S. resident and have resided in the U.S. continuously for at least 5 years just before s/he files a petition for naturalization or; Be a lawful permanent U.S. resident for 3 years, having been married to a U.S. citizen for those 3 years, and continue to be married to that U.S. citizen. S/He must also have resided continuously in the U.S. for those 3 years,
3. Have resided at least the last six months of that 5 or 3 years residence in the state where the petition is filed,
4. Be of good moral character and loyal to the U.S.,
5. Be able to understand, speak, read, and write simple English,
6. Possess some knowledge about U.S. history and government.
Individuals interested in taking the citizenship class should call 307-328-9204 for scheduled times. Classes are scheduled according to need and can be a portion of an ESL class.
Materials and additional information available from:
USINS Nebraska Service Center
Attention: N-400 Unit
PO Box 87400
Lincoln, NE 68508-7400
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services